VALVOLINE CONSOLIDATED ONLINE PRIVACY NOTICE
Effective Date: December 6, 2021
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how Valvoline and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “Valvoline”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) collect, use, store, and share your information.
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies where it is posted, and to information we collect from or about you: (1) when you access and use our websites and mobile applications (the “Online Services”); (2) when you use or interact with our products and services, both online and offline (“Services”); (3) when you communicate with us in any manner, including by email, telephone, and/or in person (“Communications”); and (4) when we interact with certain third parties.
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY. BY ACCESSING AND/OR USING OUR WEBSITES, SERVICES, OR BY COMMUNICATING WITH US IN ANY MANNER, YOU REPRESENT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS NOTICE.
1. What Information Does Valvoline Gather?
Depending on where you live, how you interact with us, and how we may interact with certain third parties, we may collect the following categories of information from and about you:
Information You Give Us. We may collect information provided by you when you:
- engage with our Online Services;
- purchase our Services, download coupons or respond to other incentives or offers, or otherwise engage in transactions with us or others;
- engage with Communications with us, such as to provide feedback, ask for additional information, request support or service;
- post content, photos or other material to social media or similar features operated by Valvoline or which Valvoline may access;
- register for or manage an account with us; or
- subscribe to newsletters, email lists or other content we provide.
Such information may include, but may not be limited to:
- Identifiers, such as your first and last name, home or other physical address, email address, IP address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number and other information that permits you to be contacted physically or online;
- Indirect identifiers, such as your signature, personal characteristics such as your age, and other information that may indirectly identify you;
- Transaction history with Valvoline, including car type, history of transactions with Valvoline, VIN number, and purchasing tendencies;
- Certain geolocation data, including your zip code and time zone; and
- Audio, electronic, visual, and thermal information, including telephone recordings, electronic communication records, physical security camera footage, and, where applicable, thermal reading information such as temperature screening.
Please note, you may choose not to provide certain information to us but doing so may restrict your ability to use our Online Services, Services, or ability to Communicate with us.
Social Media. We may collect information through our presence on social media and networking platforms. You may use social networks or other online services to access our Online Services. When you do so, information from those services may be made available to us. By associating a social network account with our Online Services, we may access and retain information relating to that account in accordance with the policies of the social network or other online service and this Notice. For example, we may be able to access account or profile information that you have provided to the social network or information about your interactions with the social network.
Device and Web Browsing Information. We may collect information from your devices and about your web browsing when you visit or use our Online Services. We may collect information such as:
- your IP address;
- the type of browser, devices and operating systems you use;
- identifiers associated with the device(s) you use to access our Online Services;
- the pages you visit and the features you use, including dates and times;
- if you navigated from or navigate to another website, the address of that website; and
- information regarding your internet service provider.
We may allow third parties to use Data Technologies on our Online Services. The information collected by Data Technologies may be shared with and used by us, by others acting on our behalf, or by third parties subject to their own privacy policies. Information collected by Data Technologies may be used on this or on other websites or services, including those that may not be operated by us.
Email. We may collect information regarding the effectiveness of our email and other Communications with you. For example, we may know if you follow a link in an email we send to you.
Geolocation. We may collect information from your device that precisely identifies your device’s physical location and which may include GPS-based, WiFi-based or cell-based location information.
Vehicle Data. We may learn information about your vehicles, including odometer readings, VIN, vehicle make and model, service history, and other vehicle information.
Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information about you from other third parties. This information may include information about your use of our Online Services, our Services, your use of other websites, your interests and preferences and other information about you or your household. We and others may combine information about you.
2. How Does Valvoline Use Information It Gathers?
We and others acting on our behalf may use the information that we gather to operate our businesses. For example, we may:
Operate and Support our Services. We use the information that we gather in order to operate our Services. For example, we may use the information that we collect or receive to provide support and assistance that you request or to diagnose or address technical problems in the operation of our Online Services or other Services. If you establish an account with us, we may use information about you to manage or support your account. We may identify your use of our Online Services from different devices, and we may use information we collect from you and receive from others to optimize your use of the Online Services and our Services as you use different devices.
Improve and Evolve our Services. We evaluate and improve our Services, including our Online Services, including developing new products or services and using the information we gather to do so. For example, we may analyze customer interest in our Online Services and perform other market research activities, such as surveying browsing habits on our sites. We may also monitor traffic to our Online Services, and physical locations.
Advertise and Promote Products and Services. We may use the information we gather to offer, provide, or personalize products and services from us, including our Online Services and Services. For example, we may customize content, advertising, communications and promotions to reflect your preferences, interests, or prior interactions with us and others. We and others may use information we gather to deliver you content when you visit other online services, including to encourage you to revisit our Online Services.
Make Other Contacts. We may contact you through telephone, text, email, chat or other means as permitted by law.
This Notice only addresses our own information practices. This Notice does not apply to information you share with third parties even if we link to those third parties from an Online Service. These third parties may have their own privacy policies governing their use of information that you can access from their websites.
Please note that other parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use our Online Services.
3. When Does Valvoline Share Information?
We may share the information we gather, including as follows:
Service Providers. We may share information with third party service providers and others who help us operate our business or provide our Online Services and Services on our behalf. These service providers include those who may help us handle your account or provide customer service or respond to consumer requests, complete orders, conduct training, support our franchisees or related franchising efforts, contact contest winners, and analytics companies, advertising networks and others, such as those that provide Data Technologies on our Online Services.
Corporate Affiliates and Other Ventures. We may share information with our corporate affiliates and franchisees for their everyday business purposes, to provide services or to perform marketing. We may also participate in joint ventures with others, and we may share information as part of such joint ventures. We may share information with other selected third parties. For example, we may exchange information with third parties regarding vehicle details and service history.
Promotional. We may share information with third parties who help us develop and promote products and services, including joint marketing, or to help us customize advertisements, offers, or other communications to you.
Non-Affiliated Third Parties. We may share your information with non-affiliated third parties to facilitate your access and use of our Online Services and for other business and commercial purposes, including but not limited to those third parties’ commercial purposes.
Referrals. Occasionally, visitors will have the opportunity to forward information to others through our Online Services (or interactive advertisements). The personal referral information you provide to facilitate this communication is used on a one-time basis and is not further used by Valvoline to re-contact referred individuals, except in circumstances where we obtain consent from the people you have referred to receive communications from us. We may also retain such information for other purposes, such as for analysis to better serve our customers.
Business Transfer. We may share information we have gathered about you in connection with the sale or merger of our business or the transfer of assets including in a bankruptcy action.
Protection of Ourselves and Others. We may use and share the information we gather to protect our own and others’ rights and property, including protection of our affiliates, franchisees, customers and members of the public. We may use and share the information we gather to comply with law (including cooperation with regulators or officials), legal process (including in response to a court order or subpoena) or legal advice, and for preventing fraud, theft, and injury to you, us or others.
4. Your Choices
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices around how your information is collected, used, and shared. Please note, some of these rights are dependent on your location. Please also note, for some of these rights (such as the Right to Know and Right to Delete), we will verify your identity before we respond to your request. To verify your identity, we will generally match the identifying information you provide in your request with the information we have on file about you. Depending on the sensitivity of the information requested (or requested to be deleted), we may also use more stringent verification methods to verify your identity, including but not limited to requesting additional information from you and/or requiring you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury.
- Update Account Information. If you have registered for an account, you may update information provided in your online account by logging on to your account and editing that information.
- Unsubscribe From Emails. You may unsubscribe from promotional emails from us by following the unsubscribe link included in each such email.
- Access. If you are a California resident, you have a right to ask that we disclose the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you in the 12 months preceding the date of your request, including a description of the categories of sources from which we have collected that information, the business or commercial purpose for collecting or sharing that information, and the categories of third parties with whom we have shared that information. To submit such a request, please click here or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Delete. If you are a California resident, you have a right to ask that we delete your personal information, subject to appropriate exceptions. To submit such a request, please click here or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Opt-Out Of A Sale. If you are a California resident, you have a right to opt-out of the sale of your information to third parties. To submit such a request, please click here or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Limiting Sharing Geolocation Information. Your device may have settings that allow you to prevent sharing geolocation information with us. You should consult your device’s settings or help documentation for more information about exercising these options.
- Opt-Out Of Analytics. We use analytics technology such as Google Analytics, including for remarketing purposes. You may be able to opt-out of this use of information about you by Google by clicking here to manage Google ad settings. To learn more about how Google uses data when you use our Online Services please click here. You may be able to opt-out of receiving certain advertising tailored to your interests by third parties through the Network Advertising Initiative website, an independent web site not sponsored by or affiliated with Valvoline. See www.networkadvertising.org/choices. (Note that you will still receive advertising even after opting-out but such advertising may be less targeted to your interests and preferences.) You may opt out of enhanced online display advertising provided directly by Valvoline Instant Oil Change here.
- Right Of Non-Discrimination. You have a right to exercise your choices above free of discrimination. Valvoline will not discriminate against you in any way if you choose to exercise any choices outlined above.
5. Your California Rights
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
All terms and phrases used hereunder shall have the same meaning as those terms are defined under the CCPA and its implementing regulations, as amended from time to time.
- Rights. Under the CCPA, California residents have a right of Access, Delete, Opt-Out Of A Sale, and Non-Discrimination. To learn more about these rights, see 4. Your Choices above.
- Notice of Sale. Although Valvoline does not sell personal information in the traditional sense, certain of Valvoline’s partnerships with non-affiliated third parties, including certain advertising providers, may be considered a sale of personal information under the CCPA. The categories of personal information sold include certain identifiers relevant to online advertising and marketing services, and VIN number and purchase history relevant to certain automotive partnerships. To exercise your right to opt-out of these sharing practices, please click here or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Notice of Collection. To learn more about the categories of personal information we have collected about California residents over the past 12 months, including the categories of sources from which we have collected that information, see 1. What Information Does Valvoline Gather. To learn more about the business and commercial purposes for which we use that information, and the categories third parties with whom we may share that information, please see 2. How Does Valvoline Use Information It Gathers and 3. When Does Valvoline Share Information.
- Notice of Disclosure. To learn more about the categories of personal information we have disclosed for a business purpose about California residents over the last 12 months, including the categories of third parties with whom we have shared that information, please see 1. What Information Does Valvoline Gather and 3. When Does Valvoline Share Information.
6. How Does Valvoline Address Do Not Track Signals?
Do Not Track is a privacy preference that users can set in many web browsers. As of the Effective Date listed above, there is no commonly accepted industry response for Do Not Track signals initiated by browsers. Therefore, we do not respond to such signals. For information about Do Not Track, please visit: www.allaboutdnt.org.
7. How Does Valvoline Manage Children’s Data?
Our Online Services are only to be used by adults. If you are under the age of 18 you may use the website only with the consent of or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. Under no circumstances do we collect information on children under the age of 13. Consistent with the requirements of the United States’ Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), if we learn that we have received any information directly from a child under age 13 without first receiving his or her parent's verified consent, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the child that he or she cannot use the Online Services and subsequently we will delete that information. If you believe a child has provided us their information in violation of this notice please contact us at the email address below.
8. How Does Valvoline Provide Updates to this Notice?
We reserve the right to update this Privacy Statement at any time without notice to you. When we make material changes to this notice, we will update the Effective Date above. Please check this page regularly to be informed of our privacy practices at the time you provide information to us.
9. How Can Valvoline be Contacted Regarding Privacy Issues?
You can contact us with questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Notice by contacting us at:
Valvoline Communications and Corporate Affairs
100 Valvoline Way
Lexington, KY 40509 USA
To request a copy of this Notice in a different format, or for other accessibility questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. How Does Valvoline Address Information Security?
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide us through our Online Services. We also take reasonable steps to ensure that personally identifiable data collected is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and current. However, no safeguards guarantee 100% security and therefore we cannot guarantee that information provided to Valvoline will never be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with this Privacy Notice.